The Creole sausage Rougail is a dish made of Creole sausage cut into pieces, with rice and rougail (diced tomatoes, crushed ginger, chopped onions and peppers). This dish is one of the signature dishes of this beautiful island in the Indian Ocean – Reunion. You will find it during the Sunday meal in practically each family of the island. If you spend your holidays in Reunion, you can taste this dish in a hotel or residence of the island.
How to accompany Creole Sausage Rougail?
This dish is often accompanied by canned or home-made lentils and rice. Sprinkle onion stalks and parsley just before serving. For fans of spicy meal, this dish can be enjoyed by accompanying it with some pickled vegetables or tropical fruits such as green mangoes. In Reunion, they also often accompany it with beans, peas or a stew of various assorted vegetables.
Why Creole Sausage Rougaille?
This particular dish will delight your taste buds with its palette of flavors that it will make you discover. The Sausage rougaille will conquer you without any doubt.
- 500g Creole Sausages
- Tomato can or Fresh Tomatoes (5)
- Onion and onion heads
Preparation of the recipe:
- Prick sausages and degrease in boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain and cut each sausage into 3 pieces.
- Grate the ginger and crush the garlic. Add salt and pepper and reserve.
- Chop 3 onions and add them to the tomato can/ fresh tomato and grind it with some salt. Reserve.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a Dutch oven, grill the sausages, add chopped onions (3 heads).
- Add the ginger and garlic mixture, salt and pepper. Stir for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato mixture, thyme, saffron and allow to simmer over low heat for 1 hour.
You can now enjoy your Rougaille Sauccise with the accompaniment of your choice.
Bon Appétit Biensure!
Book your hotel in Reunion Island to experience more wonders of the Reunion cuisine.