Nankhatai are shortbread biscuits popular in India and Pakistan, they can be easily made at home if you are looking for some sweetness. Here is the recipe:
- All Purpose Flour – 1 cup
- Unsalted Butter/Ghee – 1/2 cup
- Powdered Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Cardomom Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Baking Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Pistachios/Raisins/Cashews/Almond – for garnish
- Put butter in a mixing bowl with room temperature around. Add the powdered sugar and cream together. You may stop when the mixture becomes light and fluffy.Sift all the dry ingredients (flour, cardamom powder, baking powder and salt) into a separate bowl.
- Keep mixing while adding the creamed butter mixture little at a time.Knead it to form a soft dough. Cover the dough and let it rest in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 C). Smoothen the balls by rolling in between your palm. A cookie cutter to shape the cookies can be used.
- Place each ball in a cookie sheet. the cookies will expand when they bake so be sure to leave enough space. You can add a pistachio or raisin or cashew or almond on top of the balls gently to make it richer.
- Let them bake at 300 degrees for 12-15 minutes until cookies turn light golden brown.
- Get them out of the oven and gently put the cookies to a cooling rack
- After it cools completely, store in an air tight container .Serve as a snack with a cup of tea.