The Pulao is a uniquely re-blended dish on the island of Mauritius. It is a dish in which rice is cooked in a seasoned broth. The rice attains its color through a mix of spices specially designed for this wonderful dish. Depending on taste, the Pulao may contain meat(Chicken, Beef, Pork, Lamb), vegetables, and sausages.
When is it served and why is it served?
The Pulao is normally a dish consumed during weekends amongst Mauritian families. It is the substitute to Briani and is served on any occasion. You can find Pulao in some restaurants around the island or in the hotel you are lodging in. But most surely you will be able to taste some if you are lodging at a villa, since the Mauritian cook will be able to cater for that dish depending on your taste.
What makes Mauritian Pulao unique?
Pulao remains a unique dish due to its blend of flavours that provides a unique feeling in the mouth creates different sensation at each spoon you take. The dish is a tasteful and exotic mix that will certainly fully satisfy your taste buds.
– Steward Lazzat Special Pulao Spices
– 300 g cubed beef
– 300 g chicken pieces
– 300 g Sausages (Porc, Chipolata)P
– 600 g Basmati Rice
– 4 cups of water
– 1 medium onion chopped
– 1 teaspoon of crushed garlic and crushed ginger
– 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves and chopped thyme
– 7 cloves
– 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
– 1 teaspoon whole black pepper
– 1/4 cup turmeric
– 4 curry leaves
– Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the beef and chicken into bite size slices according to your wants. Reserve in separate containers. Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
- Cook the sausages accordingly depending on which one you chose. Allow to cool and cut into bite size portions.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan to simmering point. Fry the chicken pieces until fully cooked and golden brown. Remove the fried chicken pieces from frying pan. Allow oil to drain and place in a dish. Fry the cubed beef pieces until golden brown in the same oil and if need arises, add a little more oil to fry the beef.
- Add the chopped onions, crushed garlic and ginger, the chicken pieces, turmeric, curry leaves, chopped coriander, chopped thyme, cloves and whole black pepper in the pan. Mix well together with the Special Steward Lazzat Pulao Spices and saffron. When done place at the bottom of the rice cooker.
- Wash rice in running water several times until water runs clear. Place in rice cooker with 4 cups (1000 ml) of water. Start the cooking. When water starts boiling, carefully mix well together. Allow rice to continue cooking until ready. On the other hand, if you do not own a rice cooker. Use a covered deep saucepan and allow rice to cook. Yet, you may have to adjust the water quantity to cook the rice to your desired preferences. Use medium to high heat so as to avoid burning the rice.
- Immediately after rice is cooked, open rice cooker. You will find that the chicken pieces, beef and sausage pieces will have floated to the top. Taking great care, carefully mix all the ingredients together so as to obtain a uniform mix. Close rice cooker and allow to rest for a few minutes. After cooking you can sprinkle coriander leaves on the dish.
When ready, transfer the Pulao onto a warm serving dish and eat hot.
Serve with a good Chatini Pomme d’amour (Tomato chutney) with chillies.
Bon Appetit Biensure!