We are proposing you one of the most famous Mauritian Dessert: The Caramel Flan! You will instantly fall in love with this savoury sweet course. Caramel flan is normally served after a hot curry or after a BBQ on the beach. It is best served chilled and will delight your taste buds. Its delicate aroma will lure you into asking for another ramequin. It is an easy to do recipe that you can do and share with your loved ones.
– 1/2 liter of whole milk
– 70g of Sugar
– 4 eggs
– A vanilla bean or a teaspoon of vanilla extract
– For the Caramel: 120g sugar and 2 tablespoons of water to dissolve the sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 180 ° C.
2. Prepare the caramel: Bring the sugar and water to a boil until you obtain a light caramel.
3. Pour the caramel into the bottom of your dish. It can be a ramequin or a pot. Allow to cool.
4. Boil the milk with the vanilla in another dish.
5. Meanwhile, break the eggs into a bowl, add the sugar and whisk until you obtain a frothy mixture.
6. Pour the milk over this mixture and mix. Skim the blend, then pour into ramequins lined with caramel.
7. Bake in a water bath for 45 minutes at 180 ° C.
8. After cooking you can either allow it to cool at room temperature or simply put it in the fridge for some hours for a better result.
Enjoy your dessert! Bon Appetit Biensure!