Fish Briyani is one of the most famous dishes in Mauritius and the favorite of almost all Mauritians. It is a very typical dish of weddings and such a unique dish full of flavours who will ravish the mouth of any person tasting it
750 g of tuna fish cut into chunks
350 g of basmati rice (previously soaked for 1 hour)
3 tablespoons of spices for briyani
1 pot of natural yoghurt
1 bunch of coriander
1 bunch of mint
2 small green chillies
1 tablespoon of saffron threads
1 tablespoon of ground cumin
1 red onion
3 onions, chopped
4 large potatoes cut in four and stained with a dash of yellow dye
2 tablespoons of liquid honey
3 tablespoons of ghee
3 tablespoons of cumin seeds
2 cinnamon sticks
A pinch of yellow dye diluted in half a glass of water
3 tablespoons of crushed garlic and ginger
1 can of peas
5 tablespoons of oil
Salt and pepper
- Put salt and pepper in the pieces of tuna meanwhile fry the potatoes, until they are half cooked then the onion and keep them all aside. Then fry the pieces of tuna, to seize them, however they need to be raw inside.
- Put all the ingredients in a blender: the mint, coriander, tomato, red onion, chillies and garlic and ginger, then grind till you get a paste.
- Mix this paste with the yogurt and 2 tablespoons cumin seeds, 1 cinnamon stick, 2 cloves, 3 tablespoons of spices for briyani, 3 cardamoms and 1 tablespoon ground cumin.
- Add it to the fish and mix gently.
- Mix well together the colored water, half of the fried onions, half of peas, honey, 5 tablespoons of oil and a tablespoon of ghee. Add the potatoes after, mix again and let rest 10 minutes
- Meanwhile put 1 liter of salted water to boil. A cinnamon stick, 2 cloves, 2 cardamoms pod, 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds need to be added in the water. When it starts to boil put the rice until it is half cooked.
- Pour about half a glass of water on the mixture you may taste at this stage and add some ingredients if you want. You must still be able to see the fish and potatoes. Mix well.
- After covering the fish mixture with half of the rice, sprinkle half the peas, half of the remaining fried onions, half of the saffron and 2 tablespoons of colored water.
- Add remaining rice then the rest of the rest of all the ingredients and finish by adding two tablespoons of ghee.
- Cover and simmer over medium heat for 45 minutes.
- Then turn off the heat and let your Fish Biryani to cool without opening the pot. Serve it with carrot salad and cucumber.